I’ve always been told that Good Things Come to Those That Wait and while I know that’s true, it’s tough (for me) to be patient. But this Bourbon Cherry Seltzer recipe is worth the wait. Uncovered by our neighbor Nonna, it combines the sweetness of seasonal fruit with rich oaky flavor into a lighter, soda-based cocktail ideal for warm weather. Give it a stab and I guarantee you’ll like it.
The Concept: Boozifying Fruit
If you ever soaked fruit in Everclear back in the day, then you pretty much have the concept for this recipe. In short, it requires some sweet cherries, brown sugar and Maker’s Mark to create some bourboned bombs that’ll be tough to put down. In fact, as soon as my wife Patti saw the recipe she immediately started planning both the preparation and the cocktail party that would follow a week later.
The Bourbon Cherry Seltzer is really something special because it’s not only a delicious cocktail, but it can be used in so many ways. First, it’s on the lighter side your guests won’t get totally hammered. Second, they’re easy to prepare by the pitcher so it can easily be served to larger groups. In addition, it has a lighter flavor profile that almost everyone will enjoy. And finally it’s just plain unique so everyone will remember them.
Bourbon Cherry Seltzer Recipe
The recipe is pretty straight-forward and it takes only about 25 minutes to prepare and a week to stew:
UPDATE: The longer the better. A week was good, two weeks is better.
- 1 C. Bourbon – We Used Maker’s Mark
- 3/4 C. Packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 C. Whole Fresh Cherries, With Stems
- 16 Oz. (2 cups) Seltzer Water
- Heat Bourbon and brown sugar mixture until sugar is dissolved.
- Pack cherries into a small jar, covering them with the hot liquid.
- Make sure that all of the cherries are immersed in the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 week.
- They can be stored up to 1 month
- Fill four 12-ounce rocks glasses with ice
- Add 1 ½ ounces cherry-infused bourbon to each glass
- Add 4 ounces seltzer to each glass
- Garnish each drink with 2 or 3 whole Bourbon cherries
No matter whether you’re just having a few casual drinks or inviting the neighbors over for drinks, Bourbon Cherry Seltzer is a lighter cocktail great for a wide range of tastes. So go grab some cherries and bourbon and jump in!